Sunday, February 03, 2008

Knitting with a New Purpose...

The Homespun basketweave shawl I started recently was something I planned as either a personal item or a gift - I don't always know what I am going to with my knits when they are finished. It found its purpose a few days ago, however.

My husband got together with some friends from a former job one night this week, sort of a reunion. It was arranged in part by a colleague/friend of his we have known since just before my husband and I got married. This couple became closer friends of ours when they moved from Brooklyn and bought a home in our area, but over the years we have kept in touch a bit less, as we got involved in different circles, had children of different ages, in different school systems, and especially after I returned to work part time. We keep in touch but less often, though we still consider each other good friends.

My husband traveled home from the reunion with his friend, who shared some sad and disturbing news... his wife, my friend, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It was confirmed to have spread to the lymph nodes. The doctors remain optimistic, however, about her prognosis. They do say, though, that it will be a road with some very rough patches at times. She has already begun chemo and radiation treatment.

Needless to say, my husband and I were shocked and very upset. My response was to go to my local yarn store and find the softest, prettiest yarns I could find, and start some chemo caps. I also decided that my latest homespun shawl will also be for her - the yarn is so soft, washes easily, and comes out even softer from the dryer. I'm glad I had already started on it, so hopefully I can finish it quickly for her.



The yarn I chose for the caps is Lorna's Laces Shepard Chunky (Tickled Pink) and Shepard Worsted (Child's Play) superwash merino yarns. The colors are so pretty and bright, and the yarn is incredibly soft. I finished a Shepard Chunky cap, and I'm going to be starting another one in a different style with the Shepard Worsted.




I also ordered a swift and ball winder earlier in the week. That should help with all the lace yarn I have to wind... In the meantime, the Sundara yarn I ordered arrived so quickly! I wound it by hand, and started a pair of socks already. I'm following a Basic Ribbed Socks pattern in Vogue Knitting on the Go - Socks Two. I like knitting socks - they are such a treat to wear, and last much longer than the ones you buy in the stores.



So my needles are quite full at the moment, and I have plenty of variety in knitting to keep me busy as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How special - that is so wonderful that you are doing that!

Knitted Gems said...

I'm so glad you decided to get a swift and ball winder. They are worth their weight in gold.
How very nice of you to make chemo hats and a shawl for your friend. I'm sure they will be comfort - things from the heart always do.

~RaenWa~ said...

I am so sorry to hear about our friend my thoughts & prayers are with her & her husband

kathy b said...

Knitting with a purpose is so generous of you. How lovely.

Im still undecided on a swift and ball winder. How do you like yours/