Friday, April 04, 2008

Mermaids and Secrets

Mermaid Scarf 3

It's hard to blog when things you really want to write about are supposed to be secrets from one of your readers! <:^) I ordered and received a book this week with lots of great pattern ideas pertaining to particular subjects, but I can't discuss any more than that! The only thing I will say, is that Amazon is fantastic for finding just about anything you want that is or was in print, usually at awesome prices, too. I hear that it is causing book store chains like Barnes & Noble and Borders a lot of problems, though, because they can't compete with Amazon prices or selection. It's the same problem that local yarn stores have trying to compete with big internet discount companies like Knit Picks, Webs and Elann... Are we putting local retailers out of business by bargain-hunting on the Net? It's a tough issue for consumers trying to save money and local retailers trying to maintain a business. I don't know what the answer is, although I do shop both locally and online...

Anyway, one current project I can discuss freely is my Mermaid Scarf, pictured above. It started with a leftover ball of Berocco's Love It from the Skuld tote, and then I had to get more yarn to continue. It took a bit of time to figure out the pattern initially, but now I am on a roll. It's another great portable project, too, fitting nicely in one of the mesh bags I bought from Barnes & Noble.

Mermaid Scarf 4

Mermaid Scarf 1

The pattern, written by Sandi Wiseheart, is free on the Interweave website (with free registration).

Oh, and here is a photo of the Homespun/Cyprus shawl... I took it outside to capture the colors better, but to me it still looks a lot different in person. Oh well, at least you can see the progress and pattern... Have a great weekend, everyone!

2008 April 001

2 comments:

kathy b said...

Mermaid scarf is really beautiful. Glad to see how Love it knits up. It feels great in My LYS

Anonymous said...

What pretty crochet - so pretty in those colors! I'm happy to be introduced to the love it yarn, I've actually never heard of it before, but it's really pretty!