Sunday, September 25, 2005

Blogging Template Hints


I have been playing with my Blogger template and add things to personalize it a bit more. Here's a trick I found that has been very helpful: I copied the entire HTML code for the page setup, and copied it into two Word documents. The first I called "Current Blogger Template Code", and it is the current, active working code for my blog. The second document I labeled "Test Blogger Template Code". When I want to add or change something, I do it there, in text of a different color. When I am ready to test it, I copy and paste the entire code into the actual Blogger template, and then use the preview button to see if it works. If it does, I update the Word documents and save both. If not, I can go back to the test document, see immediately where I've made my changes and tweak it further until it works. If worst comes to worst, I can retrieve the working code from the first document; I always have a copy of my personalized template there as a backup in case something happens. This is especially important if you have lots of added links and/or buttons - you don't have to rebuild everything from scratch!

No comments: