Sunday, September 18, 2005

Next Knitting Class Series...

Our next knitting class series has begun. I am in full swing on the Vogue project (Fall 2005 Vogue Knitting, Pattern #23) and have almost finished the back of the sweater. I am looking forward to working on my finishing techniques, which is where I really need help.

The instructor is excellent, although she is also very opinionated about patterns. I admired the sweater on the cover of the new Fall Vogue Knitting issue, especially once I saw the photo inside, where you can see that the back is knit in the round. I love the vivid colors, textures, everything. But upon my sharing it with our knitting class, the instructor dismissed it immediately as something that "wouldn't work" for most women, only stick-thin models. I was surprised, and at first figured, "oh, she's probably right...". But after showing it to my sister and a few other friends who admired it as much as I did, I decided, hey, that's her opinion - I think the pattern is adaptable enough to work for many women, as long as they like vivid color and pattern.

I decided I won't be swayed by someone else's taste in knitting.

I have also set up a knitting-themed shop, Knit and Purl, to display my own original designs on t-shirts, mugs, bags, buttons, stickers, etc. I thought it would be fun to combine two of my favorite interests, knitting and creative designs, and see what happpens. Check it out if you have a chance: www.cafepress.com/knitandpurl

No comments: