Monday, September 10, 2007

Stash-Buster!
















This past week I took a break from the kimono project and started to work on fingerless gloves, the first of my holiday gift projects. I found a pattern that I love, Fetching from the summer 2006 issue of the online magazine knitty . However, I did not have the specified yarn (Debblie Bliss Cashmerino Aran), and wanted to use up some Lion Brand Kool Wool (a discontinued yarn) in my stash. Not long after starting swatching, it became clear that the Kool Wool was too bulky and would not work for the Fetching pattern.

So instead, I worked up a more basic pattern, using size 6 DPN's and a plain 3x1 ribbing (without the cables). I chose to make them longer for more warmth as well. I think they came out pretty nice, and will look even better with a crocheted flower or two for added interest. I have made two pairs already, and have enough yarn left for a third.

Oh, and I will definitely be going to my LYS for the Debbie Bliss yarn, too - I really want to make a pair in the original Fetching pattern, too! (I love the green color shown in the pattern illustration!

No comments: