Well, after practicing my I-cord Cast-On for the Skulls and Flower Mittens, it was clear my yarn choice was not going to work. After visiting two additional stores in hopes of finding something locally, I finally decided to do the logical thing - I ordered the Palette yarn in the original pattern colors from KnitPicks. I have also been wanting a set of interchangeable circulars, since it seems lately that every project I want to do requires another needle size that I don't already have... I decided to order the KnitPicks Zephyr acrylic set, together with the yarn. Hopefully that will keep me going for quite a while, and I can always add another cable or needle size as needed.
In the meantime, I finally started working on my first Windschief hat. I'm using the Wool Socks colorway of Shelter yarn I picked up at Purl SoHo last week. I really like this yarn - the colors and texture are great. I just wish that there weren't so many bits of hay/twigs to pick out... it reminds me a lot of Noro Kureyon that way!
I finished the hat last night, and my hubby loves it! I made the large, and it is a touch looser than I would have liked, but he likes the extra room. I will probably make the medium size for my boys, which will give a snug fit.